The CoderYouth community is regulated by trust levels. This is lets us reward experienced users with more rigths so they can help mantain and moderate the community, while sandboxing new users so they cannot accidentally hurt themselves or others while they’re learning.
Where did we get this levels from?
As documented in Community Building on the Web948, there is a progression from…
Visitor → Novice → Regular → Leader → Elder
These five levels seemed like a great starting point for our user trust system, though we changed a few names to make the levels more clear.
On our community, there are five trust levels:
0 (New) → 1 (Basic) → 2 (Member) → 3 (Regular) → 4 (Leader)
Let’s learn about what users can and can’t do on each trust level and how you can be upgraded or demoted:
Level 0 (Users who just registered)
Level 0 users are visitors who just created an account, still learning the community norms and the way our community works. Whether accidentally, or intentionally, new users can cause some problems.
Also, we hide any so-called “advanced” functionality to make the UI less confusing for them and gently land them on the deeper UI as they get more experienced.
Finally, new users’ abilities are restricted for safety – both theirs and yours.
Users at trust level 0 cannot …
- Send private messages to other users
- “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post more than 1 image
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
Level 1 Users
If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit and contribute to the community, they’ll be upgraded to level 1.
Users can get to trust level 1 by…
- creating at least 1 topics (introducing themselves in the presentations category should be enough)
- reading at least 5 posts
- spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 1 can …
use all core functions of the forum
- Upload images and attachments
- Edit wiki posts
- Flag posts
have all new user restrictions removed
Level 2 Users
Users who keep coming back to the site, and have participated long enough earn complete citizenship.
They can get to trust level 2 by…
- visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
- casting at least 1 like
- receiving at least 1 like
- replying to at least 3 different topics
- creating at least 20 topics
- reading at least 100 posts
- spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 2 can …
- Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
- Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
- Daily like limit increased by 1.5 ×
Level 3 Users
Users who are active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time are upgraded to level 3.
They can get to trust level 3 by…
This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days…
must have visited at least 50% of days
must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
must not have been suspended
These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.
All of these must be true.
Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to level 2. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.
Users at trust level 3 can …
- recategorize and rename topics
- access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
- have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
- spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
- flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
- make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
- Daily like limit increased by 2 ×
Level 4 Users
Regular users who have been around forever and seen everything set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. There are always there when you need help, and they are rewarded with the highest user level.
Users can get to trust level 4 by…
Users at trust level 4 can …
- edit all posts
- pin/unpin topic
- close topic
- archive topic
- make topic unlisted
- Split and merge topics
- Daily like limit increased by 3 ×
Q: What is my current level?
A: You can see it on your profile page
Q: I’ve done everything needed to be upgraded, but I’m still waiting
A: Don’t worry! The best thing to do is to message an admin and ask for help