Topic privacy

discussion
meta

(Miguel Piedrafita) #1

Right now, every topic is visible without having an account on the forum.

Should I make some registered-only sections on the forum? If so, which sections?

(Miguel Piedrafita) #2

IMO, we should have some restricted sections, but also some public ones.

For example, the #troubleshooting section might be useful for others, but maybe the #presentations one should be private.

(Jonathan) #3

To be honest #presentations should be kept public, as it’s a good way to directly find programmers if you’re recruiting. I would suggest making some sections for specific languages though, and making those restricted.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #4

If you’re recruiting, I don’t know why you’d come to a teenager forum…

(Jonathan) #5

I was thinking in the mind set of a teenager looking to “recruit” help for a project, and wanting to work with other teenagers, or someone possibly looking for interns and searching for “new blood” so to speak. But yeah I can see how the age thing would also be a problem.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #6

We have the #projects category for that.

(Jonathan) #7

Ahh, alright, apologies. I have yet to look in that category, and assumed it was more for showcasing projects rather than recruiting help for them. I was under the impression it was more of “Hey look what I did” rather than “Hey I’m looking for help with a project”.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #8

Well, the idea is to cover both things on the same category :smiley:

(Jonathan) #9

I feel like a clear separation of interests would be good here, to be frank. I could easily see that section getting flooded with both kinds of posts, making it difficult to tell one from the other. Maybe a #showcase section and a #projects-help section? Just to keep things as organized as possible.

(Bas Kuipers) #10

I’d say keep everything considered “private” or personal like information hidden from visitors but keep anything that gives an insight of our programming styles, problems, projects/showcasing public.

(Riley Morycz) #11

I’d say keep everything considered “private” or personal like information hidden from visitors but keep anything that gives an insight of our programming styles, problems, projects/showcasing public.

This. I think this is important for people like me (young as heck), to have their info be private to visitors.
But that’s just my side of things…

(Miguel Piedrafita) #12

Okay, so let’s get the ball rolling.
Who is in favour of making the #presentations category private?

• Let’s do it
  • I’d rather keep it public

0 voters

(Miguel Piedrafita) #15

Ok, I don’t think we need to keep that poll open for all the weekend, the response is positive and anyway this is a dictatorship so I’m going to pass this. Since now, the #presentations category is hidden for anonymus users. I’ll ask Google to clear the cache and we’ll be done.