What text editor do you use?

discussion

(Roger Stach) #1

I use Sublime for basically my everyday workspace, Atom when I’m writing docs in Markdown and Vim when I’m editing configuration.

What do you guys use?

(Taylor) #2

I’m with ya on the first bit, I’m definitely one for Sublime. Flexible config, vast range of addons, clean UI. What more could ya want?

(Miguel Piedrafita) #3

I used to code in Atom, but then the VSCode hype started and I switched. Very happy with it :slight_smile:

Ironically, my computer has Sublime, PHPStorm, Atom and VSCode installed.

(Nathan Geerinck) #4

I’m using PHPStorm at the moment.

And for school I’m obliged to use Visual Studio Code…

(Jack H) #5

I just use Sublime for everything on my PC, and vim when on any of my VPS’.

(Roger Stach) #6

I still wonder why people would switch to VS Code, because of it’s live reload feature? NPM package live-server can do that as well.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #7

I switched because of the hype, lots of plugins, Rainglow and the Laracasts series on how to configure it:

(Roger Stach) #8

I can’t believe I’m saying this. But that is awesome. Now I know why people are so hype about VS Code.

(Jonathan) #9

Because it’s one of the most feature-rich text editors out there right now that isn’t extremely slow, clunky, or difficult to work with… It’s basically one step down from a legitimate IDE. I made the switch from Sublime to VSCode little under a year ago and have been very happy with it. I much prefer the work flow, and general layout/design of the editor than other editors I have used. Having a built-in terminal helps for many generic tasks across all languages, built-in Emmit helps with web development, GitHub integration by default, a Markdown viewer (which helps with GitHub .md documents), and several other features built in, and on top of that you can expand the feature set with the tons of plugins available. I tried Atom, and it was abysmally slow for my taste (coming from Sublime which was lighting fast), and it failed to load large documents (I used to work (to my distaste) with documents that were several hundred thousand lines long (had no choice), and Atom broke down trying to open them). I can’t speak for Brackets as I have never used it but I’ve heard word from some friends that they had similar issues to my Atom ones.

(Roger Stach) #10

I legit just found out about the built-in terminal thing now. If I found out about it sooner I would’ve make the change sooner. Damn it.

(Benjamin Philippe) #11

Notepad++ is superb for Windows. Vim looks interesting too. I would use Atom more but it’s waaay too slow on my old computer.

(Jacob ) #12

I recently switched from netbeans to IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, as it’s a great IDE for Java developing, and it’s free for students :smiley:

(Bas Kuipers) #13

Generally I’d use VSCode, but for php and Java/Kotlin I use phpstorm and intellij idea respectively.

(Tassu) #14

I personally use VS Code for text editing and Jetbrains’s IDEs (IntellJ, PHPStorm etc) for actual coding.

(Filip Samuel) #15

Wow I can’t believe I am the only one using gedit and emacs(sometimes) :grin::grin::grin:

(Jonathan) #16

real programmers use butterflies

For those who don’t get the reference: https://xkcd.com/378/

(Miguel Piedrafita) #17

Oh, man. I thought I was the only XKCD’r here…

(Jonathan) #18

Almost every message in the Code() Discord server is an XKCD reference. Welcome to the rabbit hole my good sir.

(Tassu) #19

We do not live under a rock.

(Arinerron) #20

Atom or vim, and everything works great. I used to use Sublime or gedit, but I’ve come to prefer Atom and vim.

edit: insert relevant xkcd