What was your first programming language?

discussion

(William Oldham) #1

I’m interested to see what languages people started off coding in :stuck_out_tongue: I personally started development in Visual Basic 6 :slight_smile:

It would also be interesting to see if there are any correlations between people’s first and current language. Do they follow the same paradigms (OOP, Functional, etc)? How does the typing compare (Strictly typed, weakly typed, not typed)? Is the code style the same (Java vs Python for example)?

Since I started using VB6, there are some similarities but also differences between it and my current language: Java. They are both Object Oriented but VB6’s lack of various OOP features means it’s not a true OOP language. They are both typed but follow different code styles (Java’s curly brackets compared to VB6’s block keywords). I suppose this is why I like OOP languages more :eyes:

Interested in everyone’s opinions and experience with this :slight_smile:

(Jack H) #2

My list goes like this:

1. Batch
  2. Java
  3. Python
  4. Visual Basic

ofc you can’t forget html and css tho :wink:

(William Oldham) #3

ofc you can’t forget html and css tho

You dare call them programming languages :dagger: :joy:

Which would you say you’re most fluent in?

(Nathan Geerinck) #4

Four years ago I started with PHP and Javascript, nowdays I’m learning Java at school…

(Jip) #5

Html programming lang best programming lang

(Taylor) #6

Started with Java, however you know that already, don’t you @binaryoverload? :thonk:

(Benjamin Philippe) #7

I started out with simple procedural JavaScript on CodeCademy :slight_smile:! Although now I know and use:

• C++
  • C
  • Elm
  • HTML/CSS (close enough for me)
  • Batch (very useful)
  • TypeScript
  • Too many esolangs…

(Taylor) #8

Don’t think I’ve ever found a more useful lang in my life, defo agree with you there /s :joy:

(Benjamin Philippe) #9

I use it for little compilation and running programs scripts that save the absolute annoyance that is typing the same command over an over.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #10

I started with HTML (yes, I know HTML is a Markup Language and it’s supposed to be widely known, but after seeing my IT class trying to do HTML and pasting image contents in Windows Notepad, I’ve decided to call it language, figth with me), then I got into PHP and learned OOP and all that useless design patterns. Then I got into Laravel, but parallelly, I was learning JS, Python, Bash and a bit of Ruby. I’ve also done some Assembly (never got past the Hello World) and some C for working in the Arduino IDE.

(Jonathan) #11

First programming language was JS. Moved to PHP shortly after, worked for about a year as a Python dev while still working in PHP, dropped Python and dabbled in Java for a tad bit, learned Node (meh babu), then got into Go and Elixir which I still kinda touch but not really, and now I’m re-learning Java before moving to C++

(William Oldham) #12

Damn you caught me :eyes:

(William Oldham) #13

I wouldn’t say they were useless just less useful than knowing the language itself. Design patterns are still good to learn for making big programs :stuck_out_tongue:

(William Oldham) #14

In truthfulness, I never use Batch :joy: I prefer shell scripts over it :stuck_out_tongue:

(Miguel Piedrafita) #15

I’ve made some big programs, and I still think they’re totally useless :man_shrugging:

(William Oldham) #16

In that case, you’ve probably learnt the design practices with experience which tends to me the general thing nowadays. They are still used and taught because they provide the foundation for good structured code.

Inheritance and Polymorphism are some of the most important OOP design practices and are widely used to structure code (Especially projects that serve as an API or a Library) for ease of maintenance and use in the future :stuck_out_tongue:

(Filip Samuel) #17

Are you using Linux?

(William Oldham) #18

Not at the moment no, I use Windows :slight_smile: This discussion would be better over here :stuck_out_tongue:

(Filip Samuel) #19

Oh it’s just because you said that you would use a shell rather than batch, usually shells are used in linux :grin:.

(William Oldham) #20

Ah I see yes, I do use Linux a lot because I manage servers that run Debian :slight_smile: I use Windows normally and I don’t tend to need/use any automation scripts :stuck_out_tongue: