Where do you get your fonts from?

discussion

(Jip) #1

Whenever I try to have text, well, anywhere. I just can’t find a good looking font. I have Google Fonts bookmarked but to be honest, nothing on there strikes me. Where do you find your fonts?

(Jack H) #2

There are other fonts? I just use Comic Sans MS /s

Yeah, I just use Google Fonts for everything.

(mrjvs) #3

when in doubt:
G O O G L E F O N T S
also:
Fonts shouldnt ‘strike’ you. fonts are supposed to be easily readable and not overly complicated.

(Jip) #4

But but but but but I just said Google Fonts doesn’t strike me :frowning:

(mrjvs) #5

see my edit

(Jip) #6

*makes discussion post on wether a font should strike you /s

Of course. However, I do feel a font should also look good. Comic Sans is readable, and not overly complicated, yet nobody (except teenage girls with whatsapp) uses it anymore because it just doesn’t look good. Typography is a whole subject on its own, which ensures that there are 100s of fonts, and the amount of fonts will keep growing because, well, people want it to look good, and they don’t feel what they can currently find is good enough for them. (Terrible arguments I’m a bad discussion-dude)

(Jonathan) #7

I feel like Google Fonts is more than enough. I usually just use one, maybe two from my personal “arsenal” of fonts. Keep in mind that you should really only have one font on your site to keep things concise and organized (a site with 100 fonts would be terrible), and you really only need maybe one or two go-to fonts. I usually use one of these fonts for my projects:

1. Roboto
  2. Open Sans
  3. Josefin Sans
  4. Oswald
  5. Raleway

All of which are on Google Fonts.

(Miguel Piedrafita) #8

Let’s do a complete response, @RedDucks’s style:

• For my code editor and my terminal, I use Fira Code
  • For school work, our teachers force us to use Arial (except one teacher tht insists on using tahoma, no joke)
  • For web design, I have three css classes I use:
.font-sans {
font-family: system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif;
}

.font-serif {
font-family: Constantia, Lucida Bright, Lucidabright, Lucida Serif, Lucida, DejaVu Serif, Bitstream Vera Serif, Liberation Serif, Georgia, serif;
}

.font-mono {
font-family: Menlo, Monaco, Consolas, Liberation Mono, Courier New, monospace;
}

As I always use those, I don’t need to find more fonts :slight_smile:

(Nathan Geerinck) #9

I search for my fonts on dafont.com and Google Fonts

(Benjamin Philippe) #10

Man Fira Code is beautiful! It just makes that ascii art in programming look like unicode.

(MH Xion) #11

You’re looking for fonts that strike you?! The premium fonts always strike everybody especially the ones over 1000$ :smiley: You can try these two:

In my experience, almost all markets have got some great premium fonts but I only prefer to use them in real life projects. For the pet projects I think Google fonts are good enough.

(Tassu) #12

Google Fonts is good, however I use Iosevka for my terminal and IBM Plex for any design work-